FINDING YOUR INNER LION
It is not easy to change habits that you have had for most of your life. The pathways are set in that way and your brain has been conditioned over and over through repetitive action to respond in the most familiar way. I’ve heard the saying “People can’t change", and to some degree I believe that. You are born with what you have. Your DNA is set in utero. However, your habits have developed over years of practice. You may be “naturally” inclined to be a certain way, however your habits and the way you think about yourself and the world can be changed if you want to change them. We all have “the things we believe we are true about yourselves” that we reinforce through believe and action. If you want to change them you have to change the way you think around those beliefs. Using positive words, and affirmations you can start making new connections to develop new thoughts and new habits around those beliefs.
"We become what we think about most of the time, and that's the strangest secret." --Earl Nightingale
It will not happen overnight, but it will happen faster then you think. All action and change starts with the belief. Changing the way I saw myself and the way I spoke about myself changed EVERYTHING. If you don’t believe you will be successful, if you don’t believe you will ever reach your goals, your chances are great that you won’t. You will continue making up bullshit stories on why you haven’t changed it. You can’t let yourself down when you never believe you can do it. If your goals are realistic and achievable and you are willing to work hard for them, then you are the only one in the way of those goals and dreams.
BELIEVING BEFORE YOU BELIEVE
Before I started on this journey I used to have stories I used to say to myself to validate the feelings I had about myself. I still remember the day when everything changed. The day I decided I was tired of other people controlling my life and the day I decided that I was better then the life I was living. I wanted freedom from the chains that were holding me back. I changed EVERYTHING about myself that I didn’t want to identify with and replaced those thoughts with positive actions and habits BEFORE I even believed them. I then trained my mind every day to start thinking in that new way and my external world started to change almost immediately.
THE LAW OF ATTRACTION
The law of attraction states that every positive or negative event that happens to you is attracted by you. That if you act the universe for something and believe it enough it will come to you. It was a hard concept for me to believe after watching my mom die of a horrible illness. If this REALLY worked then THAT wouldn’t have happened. Since then I have come to realize that some things, the external world, is out of your control. But you have the ability to control what happens in your mind. Ask and you shall receive. This seems like its a little out there so I have amended it to the “Find your lion” version that I created for myself and for anyone who wants something more logical and straight forward.
THE RITUAL OF THE LION
I have written out my own version of "The Secret" or the Law of Attraction. It is more about setting goals and then going for them. I highly recommend taking out a paper and pen or opening up a document in your computer and following these steps.
- Write down your goal.
- Write down 3 reasons why you want to reach that goal
- Write down the bullshit story to you tell yourself on why you haven’t reached that goal and then SCRATCH THEM OUT. Keep this list as a reminder.
- Write down 3 things you can do to get closer to your goal.
- Write down a positive affirmation which brings you closer to your goal.
- Accept where you are right now. Even when things get bad. Have a good attitude. Be positive even when things are at their worse. You can’t change the situation but you can change your reaction to it. YOU CAN’T CHANGE IT.
- Mediate, visualize and read your affirmations DAILY. Review your goals and how to get there. See yourself reaching to goal. See yourself as a person who can do it. Believe in yourself. Believe you are that person before you believe you are that person.
- Show gratitude EVERY DAY. Remind yourself daily of the greatness in your life. No matter how dark things are you ALWAYS have something to be grateful for.
- Make progress. Live in parallel of your goals and dreams by doing one thing a day to bring you closer to that goal. Believe that by making progress you are living the dream. The goal is within your reach. You are there.
- Remember that the joy is in the progress and the journey of reaching the goal and not the goal in and of itself. You will see. Goals are fleeting. Once you reach them there will be a new one to reach almost instantly.
- Enjoy it all. The good, the bad and the ugly. It all has meaning. Even your darkness will lead to great things. You just have to believe it and stay grateful and trust your future and yourself.
It isn’t easy to change the way you think about yourself. It isn’t easy to change habits that you have had for most of your life. Change is hard and takes patience, discomfort but most of all it takes BELIEF and TRUST. If you want it badly enough you can have it. You can’t just sit there and wait for the universe to give it to you. Thats not how it happens. You have to live it EVERY DAY and work towards it like you already have it. Create momentum towards your goal and be active in achieving it. Be grateful for what you have right now and believe there is much more coming to you.
You cannot fail. You will not fail. You will be scared you will have doubts but if you keep repeating this routine every day it will get easier and easier and you will be getting closer and closer to the life of your dreams.
"The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." --Denis Waitley
Go through the ritual. Write it all down and review and repeat every day. Do one thing everyday that brings you closer to your goals. Schedule it into your day and REVIEW and REPEAT EVERY SINGLE DAY or as often as possible to increase your chances of success.